Important Updates:

Virus Image

Please note that City Hall is closed to the public due to COVID-19. You may reach staff by phone or email.  For COVID-19 updates and resources, please click


Public Records Request

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Our Goal

To assist the public as thoroughly and promptly as possible in requests for City documents and information.

This fact sheet is provided to assist the public in making requests to the City of Fillmore for public documents and information.


What is a Public Records Request?

A Public Records Request is a request from the public to see or obtain a copy of a City document, per the California Public Records Act. The City is not required to perform research, but will assist requestors with finding documentation that may have the information they are seeking. City staff will explain what documents are available and what form (electronic, printed copy, etc) they are in. Requests need to be focused and specific.

How is this different from a Freedom of Information Act, or FOIA?

The Freedom on Information Act is Federal law which applies to Federal agencies. According to the Department of Justice Freedom of Information Act Reference Guide, I. Introduction “The FOIA does not, however, provide access to records held by Congress or the federal courts, by state or local government agencies, or by private businesses and individuals. All states have their own statutes governing public access to state and local government records; state agencies should be consulted for further information about them.”

What is not a Public Records Request?

City Council and Commission agendas and memos prepared for the City Council and Commissions are available for public review and copying as soon as copies of those documents are distributed to the City Council or Commission. Please contact the Planning Department for current and past Planning Commission meeting agendas and memos. Please contact the Administrative Services Department for agendas/memos for the City Council, Parks and Recreation Commission, Film Commission, Active Adult Commission and any City committees.

How do I make a request to see or obtain a copy of a City document?

All requests for City documents should be directed to the City’s Administrative Services Department. Requests can be made in person, by mail, by email or fax. City Hall business hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.  (Closed alternate Fridays, click here for a schedule).

What if I am unsure about what to request?

Contact administrative services staff who will be happy to assist you with your request and explain the process to you.

Does my request have to be in writing?

No. Requests do not need to be in writing. However, in order to better comply with requests for information, it is recommended that requests be made in writing. All written and oral requests for public records need to be made to the Administrative Services Department.

Is there a fee to search for documents?

There is no fee for a search of documents or to process a request. If the requestor desires that copies be made, a fee will be charged for the copies. Copied materials are made available immediately upon payment of the copying fee. There is no fee to view requested materials.

How long will it take until I hear a response?

The City will notify you within 10 days of receipt of your request whether the requested documents are available. If any part of the request is denied, the City will notify the requestor in writing of the determination and reason(s) why the request was denied. The 10-day limit may be extended by the City if “unusual circumstances are found to exist.” If an extension is necessary, you will be notified in writing setting forth the reasons for the extension. Extension may not be for more than 14 days.


Business Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00AM - 4:00PM (Closed alternate Fridays, click here for Holiday and Closed Friday Schedule).
Erika Herrera, Deputy City Clerk
Phone: 805-524-1500 ext 212